Way Back When//Film Scans

Thursday, May 30, 2013

In high school, I was introduced to short-term, overseas missions via a trip to Guatemala with my youth group.

 2003 I officially graduated high school (I say officially, because, as a homeschooled kid, I'd been attending college since 2001) and went back, this time, as a leader, with my youth group.

Guatemala is a gorgeous country. Volcanoes, jungles, vivid colors and sounds, large cities, rural villages, mountains, crystal clear lakes, cities, slums. Such beautiful, sweet people. Joyful children photo-bombing every click of the camera, markets and malls. We were able to see so many aspects, view different perspectives. We mainly performed dramas and skits in the school, dancing and interacting with the kids after. We served on a missions base in the Petén Jungle, working on the grounds and serving the other missionaries. 

Both times were eye-opening and life changing. They planted a seed that has continued to grow. The travel bug... the sights and sounds, sleeping in airports and hauling large duffles. Interacting and meeting children and people with a hunger for God and for human love. 

... by my second trip, the tiny beginning of a love a photography was taking root in my heart. Here are some of my film scans from this trip. (I love these so much- I'm so glad I didn't have a digital camera at the time!)














One of the ideas that thrills me to the core about my future plans is that I now have a deep-rooted, practiced love of photography. A love that will be embraced and encouraged by the program I will be working in with YWAM. That's exciting.

Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 and is filed under ,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply

Powered by Blogger.